NPD Group, a market research company released a press release revealing consumer viewing habits of e-sports and streaming gameplay. The end results are pretty astonishing, below we have highlighted the key points, to view the full press release click the link below.
via NPD Group
- 4,029 gamers were surveyed. 1,772 qualified as recent e-sports competition or streaming gameplay viewers.
- 44% of current gamers have watched either formal e-sports competitions or informal video streaming of gameplay in the past six months
- Those gamers average ~3 hours per watching session with 18% watching some form of video game play on a daily basis and 46% watching weekly.
- Two-thirds of gamers are currently playing the game that they indicate watching the most, with a sizable group of gamers who are playing games they discovered by watching.
- 69% have purchased either a full game or downloadable content because they saw someone playing it online.